Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Cookies: Apricot Thumbprints


Now that I'm home at last for Christmas, the cookie baking marathon has begun. Some recipes will be vegan, others will not be, but all will be deliciously dangerous and will, without a doubt, make you want to crash a cookie exchange party just to show off your fine work.

Apricot Thumbprints were my grandma's specialty. They are a family favorite, and Christmas wouldn't feel the same without devouring a platefull of these small fruity cookies over the course of two days. I have a firm belief in passing traditional family recipes down through generations, so I left them non-vegan, in all of their buttery, eggy glory.

Though my mom and I can never make them as good as grandma could, the ones we made today came pretty close!

And one more note, I finally recharged my camera so expect the pictures of my baked goods to be exponentially better than the ones I have been posting!

Apricot Thumbprints

For Jam:
Chopped dried apricots
Sugar
Water

In a saucepan over medium heat, place chopped walnuts. Heat with sugar, adding small amounts of water as needed. Cook until the consistency is jam-like, and all the water has been evaporated. You should end up with about a cup of jam.
Set aside.

For Cookies:
1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 egg, separated

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, in a separate bowl

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat egg yolk, butter, sugar and vanilla together. Slowly add in salt and flour until made into a dough.
Form dough into 1 inch balls.
Beat egg white slightly and place in a small bowl on the side. Dip each ball into egg whites and then roll into nuts. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Press thumb deeply into the center of each. Bake for about 12 minutes, until light brown. Remove from oven and fill with jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment